About United States of America
History of USA
"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between" - Oscar Wilde Named after the famous Italian explorer Amerigo Vespucci, America has a dense history. It started from 40,000 years ago when the 1st
Geography of USA
America is bordered by Canada in the North, Mexico in the South, the Pacific Ocean in the West and the Atlantic Ocean in the East. The terrain comprises vast central plain, mountains in west, hills and low mountains in east; rugged mountains and broad river valleys in the north in Alaska; rugged, volcanic topography in Hawaii. It ranks 3rd in terms of area with a total area of 9,629,091 sq. km of which 97.77% is land and the remaining 2.23% is water. It has a coastline of 19,990km.
The highest point of the country is Mount McKinley (6,168m above sea level) and
The lowest point of the country is Bad water Basin (86m below sea level)
It has its longest river, River Missouri (3,767 km) and the Largest Lake, Lake Michigan (58,000 sq. km)
Climate of USA
The US has a diverse climate.In the West it is mostly semi-arid to desert, In the Mountains, it is alpine,In the Northeast it is humid continental, In the Southeast it is humid subtropical, The Coast of California experiences Mediterranean climate,In the Pacific Northwest, it is cool temperate oceanic, In the Alaska it is mostly subarctic, whereas in the Hawaii the climate is completely tropical.
Natural Resources in USA
The main natural resources of America are coal, copper, lead, molybdenum, phosphates, rare earth elements, uranium, bauxite, gold, iron, mercury, nickel, potash, silver, tungsten, zinc, petroleum, natural gas, and timber.
Tourist Attraction in USA
It's famous for its wide array of popular tourist destinations, ranging from the skyscrapers of Manhattan and Chicago, to the natural wonders of Yellowstone and Alaska, to the warm, sunny beaches of Florida, Hawaii and Southern California. USA has diversified cities with plenty of tourist attractions which cannot be narrowed down to list but few have specific attractions such as
- Times Square: Busting square of New York attracts 39 million visitors every year. Nearly 300,000 people pass through this Times Square daily, have fun and excitement with its Broadway theatres, super signs and malls.
- Grand Canyon: Greatest tourist attraction spot with deepest and longest canyon carved by the Colorado river.
- Las Vegas Strip: The gambling centre of the world in the southern Nevada features mega casino hotels with lavish decoration attracts the tourists.
- Yellowstone: Here we can find the world’s first national park, which preserves not only the wild life but also more than 10,000 natural geysers and hot springs.
- Golden Gate Bridge: The world’s most photographed suspension bridge, a strait between San Francisco and Marin county and is one of the wonders of the world.
- Niagara Falls: One of the spectacular wonders natures has created by three falls which are the American Falls, Horse shoe falls and Bridal Veil Falls.
- Kilauea: It is a shield flat volcano in Hawaii island.. Volcano House is one of the famous hotel at the rim of the volcano run by the local business people.
- Florida keys: It is a long chain of tropical islands curving around Florida peninsula connected by series of bridges. A shooting spot and a spectacular bridge called the Seven Mile Bridge attract the tourists globally.
- Denali National Park: It is located in interior Alaska where the highest mountain in North America, Mount McKinley is located.
- National Mall and Memorial Parks: National Capital Parks comprising of 1000 plus acres having veterans memorials also.
Amazing number of tourists get attracted by the local festivals, historical buildings, golf courses gambling, museum, galleries, spas, restaurants and sports.
The top five cities of USA are:
- Chicago, IL.
- San Francisco, CA.
- New Orleans, LA
- Santa Fe, NM.
- Charleston, SC.
One must not miss the Shedds Aquarium, Adler's Planetarium, Art Institute of Chicago, 360 Chicago, Navy pier in Chicago. The Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, Alcatraz, Chinatown are a "must-see" in San Francisco.
Special attractions of New Orleans, LA are the French Quarters, The Audubon Zoo, National World War II Museum, Mercedes Benz Superdome, New Orleans Botanical Garden, The Six Flags New Orleans and the Cemeteries.
The Canyon Road, El Rancho de Las Golondrinas, Loretto Chapel and the Museum of International Folk Art are among the famous spots in Santa Fe, NM.
Charleston Water Taxi, South Carolina Aquarium, Cathedral of Saint John's The Baptist are places not to be missed in Charleston.
Famous Hotels in US
The famous hotels of USA are :
- The Lodge at Sea Island - Sea Island, Ga.
- The Inn at Palmetto Bluff - Bluffton, S.C.
- The Allison Inn & Spa - Newberg, Ore.
- Four Seasons Hotel Seattle - Seattle, Wash.
- Four Seasons Resort Lana'i, The Lodge at Koele - Lanai, Hawaii
- Amangani - Jackson Hole, Wyo.
- The Grand Del Mar - San Diego, Calif.
- Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu - Big Island, Hawaii
- Rancho Valencia Resort & Spa - Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.
- Waldorf Astoria Chicago - Chicago, Ill.
USA Culture and Cuisine
It is a "melting pot" of cultures from around the world and plays a dominant role in the world's cultural landscape. American cooking (US cooking) is usually considered to consist of the traditional dishes long popular in the USA. Most were introduced by the early European immigrants but modified to take advantage of the locally available ingredients and to conform to local tastes. Fried chicken, meatloaf, baked potato, corn, baked beans and apple pie would be considered traditional American dishes. Restaurants serving all sorts of delicacies from American style hamburgers, hot dogs and fried chicken to Italian pizza, Mexican tacos, Greek Gyros and Chinese egg rolls are available. Healthy Food is very popular in the USA. Salad bars are very common and many restaurants offer low calorie or low fat items on their menus.
Some of the busiest airports of USA at a glance are:
- The Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (Atlanta, Georgia)
- O'Hare International Airport (Chicago, Illinois)
- Los Angeles International Airport (Los Angeles, California)
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, Texas)
- Denver International Airport (Denver, Colorado)
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (New York)
- Miami International Airport (Miami, Florida)
- Newark Liberty International Airport (Newark, New Jersey)
- San Francisco International Airport (San Mateo County, California)
- George Bush International Airport (Houston, Texas)
Posted By : All Places Map Last Updated: March 26, 2015
Flag of USA
Facts about United States
|Country||United States of America|
|Capital||Washington, D. C.|
|Government||Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic|
|Independence Day||July 4, 1776|
|National Bird||Bald Eagle|
|National Anthem||The Star Spangled Banner|
|Climate||Temperate, Tropical, Arctic, Semiarid and Arid|
|Area||9,826,675 sq km|
|Currency||US Dollar (USD)|