History of Colombia
In the 1500’s the country was discovered by adventurers of the European origin. They explored the country and conquered lands from the original inhabitants. The Europeans mainly the Spanish Conquistadors created the major cities of the present day Bogotá, Santa Marta and Cartagena. Spain established huge colonies on the country after invading it.
New explorers repeatedly came to Colombia in search of a legendary city called El Dorado, literally The City of Gold. Many explorers came in hope of searching for it. However the city was a mere legend and could not be found.
In the 1800’s the Colombians being tired of the Spanish rule rebelled against them. General Simon Bolivar was the leader of the resistance. A period of great conflict and turmoil took over the Colombians. In 1819 Colombia gained independence.
Colombia having to deal with its own share of domestic problems did not participate in either of the world wars. It finally got stability late into the 20th century. On 4th July the new constitution of Colombia was promulgated.
At present Colombia is the fourth largest economy in Latin America. It is one of the top markets as well.
Geography of Colombia
The country of Colombia is located in the tropics. For this reason it has equatorial climate and a large variety of indigenous flora and fauna.
The major features of Colombian geography are.
1) It has flat low lying coastal lands.
2) The central part of the country has Highlands.
3) The Andean mountains are a part of the highlands in the country, home to a variety of endemic plants and animals.
4) The plain lowlands in the East.
Colombia shares its borders with its neighbouring countries Brazil, Ecuador, Panama, Peru and Venezuela.
The Highest point in the country is Pico Cristobal Colon 5,775 m. The lowest point is Pacific Ocean 0m.
Climate of Colombia
The country being located in the equatorial region experiences tropical climate throughout the year. Other than that it is cooler near the mountains at higher altitudes.
Natural Resources in Colombia
The main types of resources in the country are petroleum, natural gas, coal, iron ore, nickel, gold, copper, emeralds and hydropower.
Tourist Attraction in Colombia
Colombia is a very old place with lots of tourist attractions. The main cities of Colombia are, Bogotá, Santa Marta and Cartagena.
The main tourist attractions are Walled City of Cartagena, San Felipe de Barajas Castle, Plaza Santo Domingo, Museo Botero del Banco de la Republica, Gold Museum (Museo del Oro), Tayrona National Park and Cristal Beach.
Famous Hotels in Colombia
There are many famous hotels throughout the country. These are a list of hotels across the three of the major cities as cited above.
- Hotel Quadrifolio in Cartagena
- San Pedro Hotel Spa in Cartagena
- Bogotá Marriot Hotel
- The Orchids Hotel
- Casa de Leda - a Kali Hotel
- La Calzada del Santo
The cuisine of Colombia is highly diversified. It contains all of the indigenous cuisine and also included are the cuisine of European cultures. The cuisine can be classified in to major categories and exemplified.
- Appetizers and Soups - patacones, sancocho de gallina and ajiaco.
- Snacks and Breads - pandebono, arepas, aborrajados, torta de choclo, empanadas and almojábanas.
- Main courses - bandeja paisa, lechona tolimense, mamona, tamales and fish dishes especially in coastal regions where suero, costeño cheese and carimañolas are also eaten.
- Side Dishes - papas criollas al horno, papas chorreadas and arroz con coco.
- Desserts - buñuelos, natillas, torta Maria Luisa, bocadillo made of guayaba, cocadas, casquitos de guayaba, torta de natas, obleas, flan de arequipe, roscón, milhoja, and the tres leches cake.
The ethnicity of the country is mainly composed of the Mestizo and Whites. They are followed by the Blacks. The majority of the population can be traced back to Spanish and Native American descent. The Africans were mainly brought in to do slave work in the country. The National sport of the country is tejo. The most popular sport of the country however is football. In addition to that there is widespread playing of boxing, roller skating and cycling.
Colombia has many airports of which these five are the most famous.
- Eldorado Airport (Bogota, Colombia)
- Alfonso B. Aragon Airport (Cali, Colombia)
- Jose Marie Cordova Airport (Medellin, Colombia)
- Rafael Nunez Airport (Cartagena, Colombia)
- E Cortissoz Airport (Barranquilla, Colombia)
Posted By : All Places Map Last Updated: August 08, 2015
Flag of Colombia
Facts about Colombia
|Independence Day||July 20, 1810|
|Climate||Tropical and Temperate|
|Area||1,139,000 sq km|
|Currency||Colombian Peso (COP)|
|Neighbours||Brazil, Ecuador, Panama, Peru, Venezuela|