History of Argentina
In 1869, 9th July, the United Provinces of the river plate declared themselves independent from Spain and the Argentine troops under Jose de San Martin freed Chile and took the first step in liberating Peru after capturing Lima.
In the span of 1870 – 1920, Argentina had its fortune as it prospered economically when the British laid railway tracks across the country flourishing the sheep industry via export of meat and wool. Argentina wasbranded as the "Breadbasket of the World" through 1920’s. Colonel Juan Domingo Peron had a civilian government in 1946 and is remembered for improving the worker’s living conditions by the implementation of initiatives like holiday pays and benefit measures.
The "Dirty War" of 1976 is an epic event in the history of Argentina. In this brutal assault the Armed Forces gained control uprooting the congress and the political parties and they handed over trade unions and universities to the military. After the "Dirty War", the economic condition of Argentina was completely ruined. But they were given the consolation that soon they would become the First World country. Argentina have suffered several ups and downs in their economic conditions but presently it is in stability, though certain unemployed people create strikes and block roads and lead the Piquetero Movement.
Geography of Argentina
Argentina is the located in the southern part of South America bounded by the countries Brazil, Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay. Argentine land has been divided into four main regions for its long length.
1)The northern subtropical swampsand woodlands
2)The densely forested slopes of the Andes Mountains in the west
3)The semi-barren and cold Patagonian Plateau in the far southand
4)The moderate region surrounding Buenos Aires densely populated with the most fertile lands of the country and is closer to the cattle rearing grounds.
Argentina has a total land area of 2,780,400 sq. km comprising 98.43% land and 1.57% water and ranks 8th in the world.
The highest point of Argentina is Cerro Aconcagua (6960m) and
The lowest point is Laguna delCarbón (105m below sea level)
The longest river is the Paraná (4700m).
Climate of Argentina
Argentina experiences diverse climatic environments. The northern portion of the country experiences a very hot and humid climate being nearer to the Tropic of Capricorn. The winters are less humid and are characterized by droughts.
The central part of Argentina experiences hot summers and are accompanied by thunderstorms, hailstorms and tornadoes. The winter is cooler in the central part.
The southern part of the country relishes mild summers and winters with abundant snowfall. The regions with higher altitude experience cold climate throughout the year.
Natural Resources in Argentina
The main natural resources of Argentina are lead, zinc, copper, tin, petroleum, iron ore, manganese, uranium and the fertile savannas of the Pampas.
Famous Cities in Argentina
The famous cities of Argentina are namely
- Autonomous City of Buenos Aires
- Buenos Aires Province
- La Pampa
- Entre Rios
- Rio Negro
- Santa Fe
- Santa Cruz
- Tierra del Fuego
Tourist Attraction in Argentina
- Iguaza Falls
- Buenos Aires
- Los Glaciares
- El Calafate
- Puerto Madryn
- Mar del Plata
Famous Hotels in Argentina
The famous hotels of Argentina are
- Alvear Palace hotel, Buenos Aires
- Lirolay Suites, San Carlos de Bariloche
- Charming, Bariloche
- Palacio Duhau, Buenos Aires
- Arakur Ushuaia Resort and Spa
Argentina is a land well known for their food loving people. They offer some great steaks in the world and also nurture good wine. Some of the delicacies of Argentina are
- Asado (Barbecue)
- Chimichurri (Salsa Sauce, usually enjoyed with steak and salad)
- Provoleta (Grilled Cheese)
- Dulce de leche (Milk Jam)
- Alfajores ( Cruchy bread)
- Empanadas (pasty like dessert)
- Matambrearrollado (Beef Steak)
- Yebra mate (Herbal caffeine imbued drink)
- Choripan ( Fast Food, Usually sandwich or roll with beef steak or chicken liver)
- Carbonada (Meaty Stew)
The important airports of Argentina are
- Buenos Aires / Buenos Aires Jorge Newbery Airport
- Bahia Blanca / Bahia Blanca ComandanteEspora Airport
- San Carlos de Bariloche / San Carlos de Bariloche Airport
- Cordoba / Cordoba International Airport
- Buenos Aires / Buenos Aires MinistroPistarini International Airport
- Puerto Iguazu / Puerto Iguazu International Airport
- Mar del Plata / Mar del Plata Astor Piazzolla International Airport
- Mendoza / Mendoza International Airport
- Resistencia / Resistencia International Airport
- Termas de Río Hondo / Termas de Río Hondo Airport
- Rosario / Rosario Islas Malvinas International Airport
- Santa Fe / Santa Fe Sauce Viejo Airport
- Salta / Salta Martin Miguel de Guemes International Airport
- Tucuman / Tucuman Airport
- Ushuaia / Ushuaia Malvinas Argentinas International Airport
Posted By : All Places Map Last Updated: August 08, 2015
Flag of Argentina
Facts about Argentina
|Independence Day||July 9, 1816|
|Climate||Temperate, Arid and Subarctic|
|Currency||Argentine Peso (ARS)|
|Neighbours||Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay|